25 Attempts get out of REC and setbacks



While going for higher studies from REC Calicut whether with pay or on loss of pay, employees had to sign a bond to serve the institution for a period equal to the duration of the course. Duration of the M.Tech course was  two years. I had  taken  leave on loss of pay for 8 months for  completing my course, however  I also had  to sign a bond  for 2 years.  As I had slowly realised the problems in REC, I was   seriously thinking of leaving REC without losing the opportunity to do further higher studies. Accordingly, I had started applying for jobs outside the college. Applications to good institutions had to be sent through proper channel with a further undertaking the conditions of the bond already signed will be followed.
 My attempts started with a few jobs advertised by Union Public Service  Commission(UPSC) and few other  jobs in public sector and research and development institutions. Somehow, none of them clicked. One of the applications sent was to a post as Scientist D (second level) at National Aeronautics Ltd.(NAL) Bangalore.  Interview was quite good as most of the questions were on Control Systems.  One advantage was that while working there on R & D projects, there was possibility of doing PhD side by side. I was very happy after the interview and felt that I may be able to get selected.  After returning from Bangalore, once   I remarked to a senior faculty member that there is a very good chance  I may get selected. From the next day, this gentleman was asking me “ When are you going to Bangalore?”  In the beginning I did not respond, but when he was repeating this every day when we met, I felt something odd and certain that he is trying to mock me. Ultimately I had to tell him “ Sir, I have no reason to run away  from REC  Calicut without telling anyone. In case I leave, I will personally come to your house and take your blessings”. Since then, he did not ask me about my job. I waited for one or two months but no positive reply came from NAL.
Of course, I had not left my aim for higher studies. Dr.N.N.Panicker, the first engineer from our village and almost like a brother  to me had gone  to California University  for his   higher studies after M E from Bengal Engineering College. He had sent me a list of universities where I can apply for higher studies as soon as I passed out from TKMCE. But at that time, with a meagre salary of Rs.250/ or so, it was not easy to send even airmail letters paying Rs.3.50 as postage and send applications to outside universities. Now that I was marginally better placed with M Tech from IIT Madras, I fished out the addresses and started applying for higher studies abroad. If an Indian student had to study in USA, then and even now, it is essential to get some financial support along with admission in a good university. I could get admission in a few good universities but financial assistance was not readily available before joining the institution. So, attempts to study abroad also were not successful.
One or two years went by like this. Then I saw an advertisement for Commonwealth Scholarship for study in United Kingdom. It was a golden opportunity and so decided to apply. As the time available was limited, my dear friend Venkataramani  and myself personally typed out copies of my certificates  in the night and prepared  the application. As there were only a few days before the last date, I sent an advanced copy direct and simultaneously gave a copy to the office to be forwarded through proper channel. As this was a standard procedure when the last date is close by, there was nothing wrong. I was asked to appear for the interview after two months.  As the application was not forwarded through channel, I was to present a No Objection Certificate (NOC)  from the college at the time of interview. As soon as I approached the Principal with this request first he asked “Why didn’t you send the application through proper channel? Have you not signed a bond to serve the institution?”. I said as there were only a few days before the last date, I submitted an advanced copy only with one to be sent through proper channel. About the bond, I said the bond period is almost over   and if I am selected, I need be relieved only after the bond period. But he said as I did not follow the office procedure for sending the application through proper channel, no NOC can be given. Principal then left for some official work for four days.  At that time, the Chairman Board of Governors was Prof.M.M.Ghani,  Vice Chancellor of Calicut University and a very kind and noble person.  Someone suggested   why don’t you meet him and apprise the situation.  Accordingly I went to the University and  presented my case. He said “ Don’t despire, it is only  attending an interview , I will ask the Principal  to permit you”. He put an order on my request to allow me to attend the interview. Prof.P.K.Charlu was the Professor in charge and on seeing this order, he promptly asked the office to put up the draft NOC for approval. By the time, the draft was approved, it was evening.As I thought everything was  clear,  I booked my ticket  from Kochi to  New Delhi by air as the time available was limited. But the next day when the fair copy was to be signed, the Principal returned and he refused to  sign telling that I might have  misrepresented facts to Prof.Ghani. I did not know why he was taking such an unsympathetic attitude. I was not sure whether his  anger  with  me was due to the advice against me from his close advisers. This was the last attempt of my attempts to   go outside and I was thoroughly disappointed. In my desperation, I took a weeks leave and went for a trip to Bangalore with my children and Dr Varghese  Philip and family. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29.Rajan Case and related incidents

22 Tribute to my Senior teachers at REC

34.Good Times smile on REC Calicut