55 For examination work at Thrissur with “gadis*”



In the seventies and eighties, there were only three engineering colleges  under Calicut university. Other than REC Calicut, Govt Engineering College Thrissur and N.S.S. College of Engg at Palakkad. Kannur. I used to regularly go as External Examiner to these colleges whenever I was appointed. Since I was staying in the campus, I could leave my young children and wife without any problem as it was safe. This way I could meet   new people and make extra money even if it is paid after two years  or more. For poor teachers like me, this was the only additional source of income.

At Thrissur, we had to stay in a hotel as  REC employees were  not considered as Govt employees in Kerala, we could not get accommodation in the Govt guest house. Stay in a hotel, breakfast and dinner in Pathans’ or Indian Coffee house, lunch in a small hotel called ‘Little Star’ near the college. Little star was the only ‘five star’ hotel available nearby. Since I had the habit of waking up early, regular visit to Vadakkunnathan and Paramekkaav  Bhagavathy and a  round walk in the Swaraj round was also included  in the daily  routine. If  I am too much bored  in the evening an occasional  movie  in one of the theatres etc was an added entertaintment.(Remember  no TV  in hotels at that time)

When I was posted as examiner at Thrissur, the most enjoyable thing was the bus journey from Thrissur municipal stand to the college by bus going to Cheroor. As the examination is to start at 9AM, I preferred to travel by 830AM bus. This private bus will be terribly crowded with small venders who come to the market to buy vegetables. Somehow, I used to squeeze in between the vegetable vendors and their baskets. Occasionally I may get a seat, but otherwise I will stand for about 20 minutes trip to the college. The most interesting part was the dialogue in typical Thrissur slang between the cleaner(kili), conductor and passengers. Dialogues like “ Enthoottaanedaa shavee” ( what is it you bloody guy?”,  “ Valyamma angadu maari ninnootee, ktaangal  kerikkottee?”) “Grandma, please move a bit, let the kids also get in” etc used to be the dialogue between them. When I return home, I used entertain my children with these little dialogues to hear them laugh out of their heart.  If the examination is for 3-4 days, it will not be boring, but more than that it will not be enjoyable.

I remember   many of my friends in the Govt College Thrissur. Prathapachandran Nair,M .S.N Potti, Abdul Khader,  Dinakaran, Ahammed Koya, E Chandrasekharan  who did his PhD with me were all good  friends and fellow  examiners on different occasions. Teachers whom I have  taught in REC  like, Jose Mathew, his wife Mercy, Lovely and  others like  Agnisharman Nampoothiri, Indira teacher, Padmanabhan Nambiar etc were  nice company there. Recently, after retirement from NITC, once or twice I went  for  giving a few lecturers on ‘Quality of Research ‘ for a short term course  on Research Methodology when Dr.Indiradevi , our student was the Principal of the college. I have contacts  with a few of them still ,like Dr Prathapachandran Nair. Many of them are no more including my PhD student Dr E Chandrasekharan, my M Tech student Jose Mathew, Dinakaran, Potti Sir etc One interesting  character  was  one Jose  who joined the college as laboratory assistant who progressively took his Diploma and Degree in Engineering by part-time study and became a lecturer in  GCE, Thrissur. Sri. Chandrasekharan  had done  some work under Potti Sir, which he wanted to continue  under Calicut University. Dr.Sreeramkumar and myself were the official guides in Calicut University. He  got his degree  in normal time. He had also graciously attended my son’s wedding at Guruvayur and blessed  the children in person. But  unfortunately he  died of a heart attack. Jose Mathew, our REC student also  breathed his last recently. A few tears for the dear departed souls and wish that their families will be able to bear the loss and move ahead.

Among these, the  two senior most  were  Profs. Abdulkhader and  M.S.N.Potti. Both of them  were doing PhD in I.I.T.Kharagpur  when I attended a summer school there. Both were interesting characters with Abdulkhader sir having a very good sense of humour. At that time, there was only one train going to Kerala from Kolkatta via Kharagpur which reached Kharagpur at 2AM.  Kharagpur was not a safe place after 9PM, especially for persons from outside the state. Therefore, Khader Sir used to reach the railway station by 8PM. I asked him “Sir, what will you do in the station till 2AM?”. He was sure in his answer: “ I rarely get bored as  I will  be  watching the  people  moving in the station, passengers coming out and  trying to board trains at the station. Some of them may be young couples recently married, then I will think about their future plans for building a family. If it is a very old couple, I will try to guess where they are going, to meet their son working in a different place and how he and his family will receive them or if they are going to their daughters, how the grandchildren will greet them. If it is a lonely old woman, I will think whether she has someone to take care of her. Etc. There are infinite number of possibilities, I never get bored”.  Is it not a very   convenient way to spend time?

I have a habit of being punctual on almost all occasions, particularly when I am attending duty. Unfortunately, I am one among the few who will be present as usual.  At Thrissur, at that time, very often I was the first person to reach the laboratory where the practical examination is being conducted except some of the candidates taking the examination. The Assistant to Examiner will come next running and the Internal Examiner will be the last, also briskly walking in. We can understand a lady lecturer coming in late after sending her children to school, attending to her husband’s needs etc, but even gentlemen teachers used to be very casual in keeping up the time.  I am sure that when they see me there sitting in the lab when they come must have thought ‘this guy has no other work and come  in the early morning and sitting here’. Of course, it was true, as I was staying in a lodge and get up early, I could reach here before the scheduled start of the examination. The interesting thing is that even the students were taking it in their stride and none of them were worried that their start of the examination is delayed. Sometimes the morning examination used to start only at 930 instead of 9AM, but students   used to complete their work in time and so nobody had any complaint whatsoever. Maybe I am the only person who felt like that because of my habit. This was the story years back and hopefully things may be far better nowadays.
“Gady” in Thrissur slang   is similar to  dude
“shavee”   is used  for an idiot
See other   slangs and their  meaning in the attached picture (in Malayalam only) from a face book page



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29.Rajan Case and related incidents

22 Tribute to my Senior teachers at REC

34.Good Times smile on REC Calicut